Okay...where to start. I'll start at the beginning, which is sad-but trust me it gets better over the two weeks. The day after Clifton's last blog-I found out that one of my exchange students last semester, Troy Marschang, a sophmore, was killed in a car accident south of College Station. Not only did I teach Troy, but since he was my only kid from main campus in class here in Doha-we got extremely close. He hung out in my lab and office all of the time and he was a very bright (top of his class), very energetic, very personable guy. Heck within 5 minutes of meeting him on their visit, Courtney and Blake had invited him to my house for Thanksgiving. I was crushed when Clifton told me the news. I had just talked to him 10 days before trying to figure out a way for him to join up with us on our Geology Field Camp in Turkey this May. This was the first loss for the TAMUQ family and it hit us all pretty hard. The students put together a memorial service for him a few days later and they asked me to speak. I think that was the hardest thing I have had to do since I have been here. He was lovely and he will be missed. This is a picture of him.
Okay, enough of that-I still cry when I think about it. So here is proof that on occassion it DOES rain in Doha.
So, Clifton had a week where 6 folks from TEES back in College Station came to visit. Of course it was fun for me because then I got to go to the Souqs with them and out to dinner a few times. It was a really good group of folks and the trip was successful...well all except the last day, where they were supposed to go on a desert trip....we had a sandstorm blow in (I was actually in my car when it happened- it was a trip to see a wall of sand come your direction...clear blue skies and then BAM, you can't even see the car in front of you.) Well the sand lasted for three days. In the picture below, you will NOT notice the Doha skyline and this was AFTER it blew in.
Last year, a few weeks after we arrived in Doha and a little less than two weeks before Maddie arrived, We had the Doha A&M Club annual Boot Scoot. (See March 3, 2008 blog to jog your memory)We had a good time last year, but we didn't know anyone, I couldn't dance...since I was a whale and we didn't really know our sitter.
This year was completely different. We got a table with some of our closest friends (which are also or closest neighbors). We knew probably at least half of the folks out of the 600 there. We danced our booties off and had the best time we have ever had in Qatar. Josie stayed with our babies and Julie's son Wade and we tore it up all night long. Heck all day long. Trevor and Nathan (two grad students who I am very very close to) came over to the house at 1pm and they started drinking and hanging out at the pool. I found some last minute tickets for two of my other friends Eric and Elliot and everyone there had a blast. Elliot got chased by a cougar (a.k.a. Elliot is a sweet 19 year old boy, the lady after him was about 55) I ended up dancing with my hairdresser who's double D's were practically busting out of her shirt, Franklin tore up someones foam Texas sign, Clifton and the guys told tall tails all night, Trevor wore a tyed-dyed "Keep Austin Weird" shirt and Texas flag bandana all night, Mark danced the sprinkler and on and on and on....
Her we are with the Donna and Steven Duffee (they are the parents of Jacob's twin girlfriends)
Not a whale this year-hey I think we look cute!!!

Donna and I...you know you are wearing boots and jeans-so her and I spent at least a week stressing over which tops to wear.
Trevor (drunk happy), Mark (scared face), Steven(hiding his NON-gut), Clifton (sucking in his gut) and me
Clifton and I have decided that our lives would be a little less interesting if Trevor wasn't in it.
This is as opposite as you can get.
Anne Marie Franklin, Lesley Bell, Donna and Julie Barker
I have no idea what Clifton, Steven and Stephen were doing.
Oh yeah-so cool
So Maddie was glad we were home this morning. This child is in a permanent good mood. She has been power eating lately-pretty impressive.
Jacob has been living in his Easter Basket Box










2 comments:
OMG....my favorite is the Dale Kubenka!! This cracked me up, Great way to start my Monday morning.
-Ginny
I have to agree with Ginny. The Dale Kubenka look kicks butt!!
Miss ya'll!
Kristen
Post a Comment