Sorry it has been so long...it has been an action packed month to say the least....
I'll start at the good stuff. In May Clifton, Trevor Nathan and I hosted a Contraband BBQ at the Pool. Trevor and Nathan are two of our grad students (read: adopted kids) who have been regulars on our blog and at our house pretty much every weekend since we met them last fall. They are both taking off for the summer-Trevor for the whole summer-(which sucks because he is probably one of the closest and dearest friends I have made here and I didn't really realize it until he left). So, we bought my bosses grill who is leaving Doha for good and they invited some friends and neighbors and we reserved the pool for the day.
I honestly thought I had at least 15/16 years before i had to worry about her, but I think it is best that I start sniffing Maddie's sippy cup.
They trusted me to put the goggles on the twins....this may not have been a wise decision.
Jacob flirtin' with the ladies!!!! That is our dear Robyn, Trevor's friend who has become a staple at our house as well. Jacob is smitten.
Me and Sherry Patrizi... the woman who took our fantastic family shots.
Chillin' with daddy
Donna and one of her gals on her boogie board
Having fun in the pool
Jacob did not let Robyn or Trevor rest
Can't tell you if this is Haley or Natalie but I love this pic.
Maddie having fun


I"M ON A BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (pop-culture reference for you old fogies)
Jacob is locked and loaded with his water gun.
Clifton cooking the contraband in his usual style...
Maddie and Eric
Trevor and Robyn doing their olympic best
Cole, Eric, Jessica and Nick
hanging out....
So then we took the furry kids to the vet and I took Reno to the groomers...I asked for a trim. I think something got lost in translation....
Then my hard drive crashed...taking everything with it...damn IBM laptop. The very next day I was hit by a large hauling/moving truck on my way to work. Luckily I was alone. Three Sri Lankan guys were trying to take a left turn from the right lane in the round-about as I was going straight in the left lane. Clearly their fault. But since all things are not fair in Doha and the damage would most likely come from their pay (or lack there of)...they refused to give me their information and started screaming "you fault you fault" Which enraged me and I started screaming at them. So here I am coming to blows with these three men on the side of the street when a very nice local gentlemen stopped and decided to assist us. When you get in an accident in Doha and both vehicles are driveable-you are supposed to drive to the traffic department and report the accident. These guys refused to move their truck and the traffic police who barely speak english were none to happy about coming to the scene. Which of course is near impossible since we don't have intersections and it is hard to describe to the police where you are or even what road you are on. The local man called traffic 4 or 5 times trying to explain in arabic where we were and then he yelled at the men until they gave up their i.d.'s which he secured in his own vehicle. Clifton arrived and the local man stayed with us for nearly two hours until the police showed up since neither Clifton nor I speak fluent arabic. The cop came...took our info and told us to come to the traffic department at 4pm the next day when they opened. Since I had no idea how things were going to go at traffic and rumor is it will take hours, Clifton stayed with the kids and my student Khaled that I took to Oman met me at the traffic department. When he got there, there were several Indian men in line waiting for the doors to open, but when they saw a Qatari in line, they waved Khaled in early. I walked in, paid 20 riyals got my reports (which you have to have to get any body work done in Qatar) and walked out before the office even opened. The company that employees the men is paying for the damage to my car and they took it today to start the process (remeber this took months with Clifton's Tahoe) so keep your fingers crossed. I guess the moral of the story...always carry a Qatari with you wherever you go.
So, I should be in Turkey now...but for eleventy billion reasons...it fell through and my students and I are stuck here in Doha. In a mad dash to get them some credit, Earl and I developed a course overnight where they are learning geology field methods in the classroom during the week and then every saturday, we are taking them to a beach out crop at the top of Qatar about an hour away. Thjis is the only exposed outcrop we can find in Qatar and it is near where the bridge to Baharain is being constructed. SO these kids spend hpours outside in the 115 degree heat mapping this crap outcrop until we can get them to Oman in October.
Pretty jolly bunch (14 of them) for 7am on a Saturday morning. Shubahm stole Maryam's hat...
Jacob's teacher, Hannah, left us this month to pursue a PhD at Pepperdine in California. Jacob is too sad. Her last day they had a Bear Tea Party. Jacob opted to wear a super hero cape and take Kung Fu Panda who wore a bandana cape and felt gloves top match....
Jacob has had what started as shingles for two months now. Finally his pediatrician came back into town who he hasn't seen in 4 months and she put him on a heavy dose of steroids which cleared up his skin in 5 days. At the same time, Maddie started running an extremely high fever....so high they out her in an ice bath at the hospital...turns out she has strep. She is on day 6 of the antibiotic and doing much better.
Can't you feel the brother sister love....
Her new thing is to clear out every cabinet we have several times a day
every cabinet
Finally started a picture wall



No comments:
Post a Comment